[DWJ] List Baby

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 13:53:41 EDT 2007

and Kyla Mackay-Smith wrote:
>Huh. That's odd--I can completely picture Maree and Rupert with kids (love
>the image of Nick overwhelmed by toddlers), but the idea of Polly and Tom
>with kids seems utterly implausible. And yet Polly and Maree are much the
>same age in their books (well, at the end). Perhaps it's because we don't
>see Maree age, such that she's more of an adult throughout the book, and
>her big-sisterly attitude toward Nick translates to plausibility as a
>mother? Does anyone else have this problem?

Oh, I agree.  I think it's partly because Polly spends most of the book as a child and a silly romantic teenager and partly because Tom is unsuited to be a father in many ways.  I've got a better hold on the terms that allow Polly and Tom to be together at the end of F&H than I used to--but would they ever feel secure enough, and far enough beyond Laurel's grasp, to think about bringing children into the world?  I'm not sure that the cautious realization that they can be together Nowhere allows for that kind of happy domesticity.

Maree, on the other hand, is already motherly, as you point out, and it's easy to see Rupert as a father, since he is such a favorite with the V-nieces.

Susanna

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.