[DWJ] DIR latest

Mon May 21 13:40:04 EDT 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:20:56 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:

>I (continue to) concur. I suspect that I'd have enjoyed the TV Dresden
>Files rather less if I'd been more impressed with the books.

I think you're completely right about this.

>I do think that Melissa touches on very important point, though: the
>demands of a TV show (both technically as a result of the format, and in
>terms of the sort of audience at whom it can be aimed so as to make some
>money[1]) are very different from those of a book. No TV show can be
>profitable _solely_ from its fan-following, no matter how devoted that
>following may be; there simply aren't enough of them to make up the
>audience numbers that the advertisers care about.

I should probably add that when the news about the TV series first came up,
I thought it was a perfect idea for a series like this.  There are so many
books that simply lack the...I can't think of a word, but the *meat*,
really, to sustain a TV series, as well as the flexibility to be served up
in three-quarter-hour installments for non-fans.  The Dresden books seem to
have this.  However, I don't think it's impossible to stay true to whatever
the essence of the original story was and yet accomplish the translation to
a visual medium.

But, as you say, nothing will ever please everyone.  I thought the Lord of
the Rings movies were just about perfect in terms of what *I* loved them
for; I have a friend who wrote his master's thesis on the books and was
simply horrified by how everyone will now think of the books in terms of an
adventure story, which to him it clearly isn't.

Melissa Proffitt