[DWJ] Re: badly designed libraries

Mon May 21 11:10:19 EDT 2007

Devra wrote:
We had a branch here in Brooklyn - won an architectural award, even -
which had such amazing things as a non-fiction section on a second floor
with no access for handicapped people (a real no-no here) and a
dumbwaiter to said second floor that was too small for the regular book
trolleys, so until they could buy special smaller ones the books had to
be unloaded onto the dumbwaiter and then reloaded onto trolleys
upstairs. Oh, and the conversation pit surrounded by the adult fiction;
people would back up a bit so as to see the lower shelves and then fall
in...

And I add:
I believe the pit has been filled in.  However we have another branch
that was REMODELED and has an elevator - but the elevator doesn't go to
the balcony where the adult nonfiction is shelved.  I don't know about
the dumbwaiter/shelving situation.  And there's another branch closed
for construction and it too has this balcony/mezzanine and there isn't a
plan for an elevator to it either.

Alison