[DWJ] Bujold (now w/o spoilers)

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon May 21 07:44:33 EDT 2007

On 20/05/07, Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
> >Minnow wondered...
> Dorian rescued me:
> >"The Spirit Ring" is a stand-alone (and one of her very early works).
> [...]   I don't have *The Spirit Ring* and I
> can't remember it except as being a slightly standard-fantasy with
> inanimate objects that are full of Spirit, or words to that effect, and I
> really couldn't remember whether it was in the Chalion-world or not.

It's set in a "kind-of alternate" Italy. I only managed to get a copy
relatively recently, and I enjoyed it. I was reminded of the "Heirs of
Alexandria" books of which the first is also set in an alternate
Italy, and I believe that there is some overlap in off-screen
characters borrowed from the real world (if you'll pardon my rather
clunky phrasing): I'm rather assuming that these were historical
famous Italians and that my failure to recognise them from anywhere
else simply reflects my gross ignorance of Italian history.
--
Phil