[DWJ] The weight discussion

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun May 20 14:59:30 EDT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 12:01 PM, Minnow wrote:

> He did other, better writing than the Sherlock Holmes stories, in my
> view.

I'm quite fond of _The White Company_ and _Sir Nigel_.  I owned for a
while, but don't think I ever read, the Napoleonic {?} one.

> I never liked the way he cheats and doesn't give the reader the
> information
> needed, and then Holmes says, "Ah, Watson, you failed to appreciate the
> importance of the yellow bandana" and the reader says "*What* yellow
> bandana?" and is told (via Holmes) that a particular (fictional)
> criminal
> gang use these as a recognition symbol, and the dead man had one in his
> pocket but Holmes pinched it before Watson arrived in order to use it
> himself to infiltrate the gang.  Yes, I know, that's an exaggeration
> but
> not all that much of a one.

That's a great deal of what I dislike about the Holmes stories as well.

> My main objection to the Continuing Chrestomanci Series would be that
> whereas DWJ has the sense to have Himself appearing as a part of
> someone
> else's story rather than being centre-stage all the time, if somebody
> else
> were writing him he wouldn't be incidental, he'd have to be central,
> and it
> would become very dull after the third or fourth book.

Your point is very well taken.  I'm glad that the copyright laws
nowadays
mean that I will be dead before the Continuing Chrestomanci Series will
become a problem.

However, perhaps she should trademark the name, just to be sure.

Man is the only animal that learns by being
hypocritical. He pretends to be polite and
then, eventually, he becomes polite.

                                 - Jean Kerr