[DWJ] DIR latest

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Sat May 19 19:06:32 EDT 2007

On 19/05/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:
> You know, I just can't help myself here...

You go right ahead, it's better than just seeing my words disappear
into the luminiferous aether ;-)

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:23:10 +0100, Phil Boswell wrote:
> <on the changes to the Dresden series for TV>
> >The reaction was pure and simple nerdfury.
> What I disagree with is the extremely objectionable term "nerdfury" and the
> implication that fans were wrong to be upset by proposed changes.

Well, we didn't make the term up: I believe it originated on the Colbert Report

> ...  I don't have
> a lot of patience with people who get all riled up over tiny changes (and I
> appreciate your clarification about the Karrin/Connie Murphy name change; it
> seemed random and unnecessary, but now I see there was a point) but too
> many irrelevant changes tend to imply that the people making the show don't
> give a crap about the original property.  And that *is* insulting.

What really inspired the epithet was the sheer number of people
suddenly arriving on the forums and posting the same complaints over
and over, demonstrating complete indifference and contempt for the
previous discussion, which had lasted several months and was freely
available for scrutiny, in which the creators of the show explained
the changes and Jim Butcher himself explained how he was happy with
the reasoning and content with said changes.

It was amply demonstrated that the people making the show cared deeply
about both it AND the original books, but the visitors completely
ignored this and continued to be rude and insulting.

You say loyalty goes both ways; well, Jim and the TV guys are being
loyal to the fans who have been there from the start and have stuck
through thick and thin. If this annoys people who simply want to drop
stink-bombs of rudeness into the forums, that is not a problem for me:
such people deserve to be annoyed.
--
Phil
...who doesn't normally go on at quite such length, honest...