[DWJ] DIR latest

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat May 19 14:29:07 EDT 2007

Melissa wrote:

>THE DARK IS RISING may well be the best fantasy movie this year.  What it
>will not be is _The Dark is Rising_.  But in giving it that title, in
>keeping the framework of the original story, the movie's creators are laying
>claim to the connection between the two, and laying claim, as well, to the
>loyalties of the people who loved the book.  I say that loyalty goes both
>ways.

Drat the woman...  MiaJaAR.  I surrender.  Wot she sed.  Not about the
particular series, because I haven't seen it, but in general.

I have sadly come to accept that the point about reincarnation is that the
person will not be the same person in a new incarnation, and nor will a
book in a new incarnation as a film, so there is no point in my expecting
to enjoy the film unless it really is nothing at all like the book was.

I hope they don't ever film any of the Vorkosigan series.  I just don't
want to have to deal with a 6'2" blond Miles striding around being
successfully heroic on account of his brawn, whilst the bangs and screams
resound through outer space.

OTOH, I wouldn't mind a movie about That-Idiot-Ivan, so long as it wasn't
trying to be one of the books.  Or one of Elli's other freelance-ish
adventures apart from *Ethan of Athos* might be fun.

Minnow