[DWJ] The weight discussion

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat May 19 14:01:29 EDT 2007

>On May 19, 2007, at 3:48 AM, Minnow wrote:
>> I have a nightmare that one day someone will start to write The
>> Continuing
>> Chrestomanci Series, when DWJ is no longer around to prevent it.
>>
>> Contemplate and scream...

and Otter wasn't too fussed:

>Hmm.  Well, I intensely dislike the original Holmes, and quite like
>Ms. King's stories.  And she's hardly the first to do Holmes.
>
>DWJ is a _much_ better writer than Conan Doyle.

He did other, better writing than the Sherlock Holmes stories, in my view.
I never liked the way he cheats and doesn't give the reader the information
needed, and then Holmes says, "Ah, Watson, you failed to appreciate the
importance of the yellow bandana" and the reader says "*What* yellow
bandana?" and is told (via Holmes) that a particular (fictional) criminal
gang use these as a recognition symbol, and the dead man had one in his
pocket but Holmes pinched it before Watson arrived in order to use it
himself to infiltrate the gang.  Yes, I know, that's an exaggeration but
not all that much of a one.

DWJ does other, better writing than Chrestomanci, as far as I am concerned.
I don't think she ever did set out to write a Chrestomanci series, it was
a publishers' idea to gather up every book in which he appears for a
chapter or two and call them "the Chrestomanci books".  I suppose now
they'll start talking about "the Howl books" even though Howl isn't really
a central actor in the two apart from HMC, or at least not as *Howl*.

My main objection to the Continuing Chrestomanci Series would be that
whereas DWJ has the sense to have Himself appearing as a part of someone
else's story rather than being centre-stage all the time, if somebody else
were writing him he wouldn't be incidental, he'd have to be central, and it
would become very dull after the third or fourth book.

(A roundabout way of conceding that Melissa is a Jeenyus and Allways
Rightb, but I wasn't going to say "wot she sed".)

Minnow