[DWJ] Re: badly designed libraries

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Fri May 18 14:28:13 EDT 2007

We had a branch here in Brooklyn - won an architectural award, even - which had such amazing things as a non-fiction section on a second floor with no access for handicapped people (a real no-no here) and a dumbwaiter to said second floor that was too small for the regular book trolleys, so until they could buy special smaller ones the books had to be unloaded onto the dumbwaiter and then reloaded onto trolleys upstairs. Oh, and the conversation pit surrounded by the adult fiction; people would back up a bit so as to see the lower shelves and then fall in...

Did I mention the fire door which opened six inches from a chain link fence?

Devra