[DWJ] The weight discussion

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri May 18 11:13:40 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Otter Perry wrote:
> Okay.  Enough is enough.  I can hear people talk about their
> weight and about my weight and so on everywhere in the
> world.  And I know I participated.

Okay, sounds good. And I even started it. (And then I found
myself thinking, "was that okay? I ban all politics discussions,
and I think of conversations about fat as being about politics,
but I know most other people don't.")

So just because this is a triggery issue for a lot of people, I'm
going to ask us to lay off this discussion for now. If something
is actually grounded in children's literature (e.g. discussions
of Nan's weight in WW, or how very wrong I was about Perilous
Gard, apparently), chat away, but make sure the subject line is
clear to people that hit the delete key if they want to. But
let's stop talking about fat outside of literature, even in the
sense of discussing those things that "everybody knows".

(Because actually the reason I brought up fat is a good example
of a place for stereotypes are dangers in children's literature
is that there are people who disagree with those things that
"everybody knows".)

Sorry for starting this, folks!

-deborah
--
I read Proust in my room while eating marzipan.
 	-- Walter Benjamin, 1926