[DWJ] DIR latest

Susanna Victoria dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 10:34:55 EDT 2007

Charles Butler wrote:

>For those friends of the Light who haven't been following events in
>Huntercombe (nr Bucharest) recently...
>http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=10283.
>
>Not to be read by those of a nervous disposition!
>
>Charlie

That hurts.  Things are sounding worse and worse with that movie: "Indiana Jones meets Harry Potter"?!!  There is a dividing line between respecting the spirit of the source material while changing some plot points, etc. and  using the title of a well-known and beloved book to sell pap to the masses.  It sounds ever more like this film of "The Dark is Rising" is the latter--I feel about as good about this film as I did about the miniseries the SciFi channel did of "Earthsea."  On the other hand (and ObDWJ), while I would have been happier if Miyazaki's version of Howl had been closer to the book, I quite liked the resulting movie; some essence was correct.  I loved the scene with the slime, for instance--Howl's personality shone through.  How does one define that line between respect and ripping off?

Susanna

~~~~~
Let the heart complete the pattern.