[DWJ] weight (was Bad Mothers (was HP))

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri May 18 08:21:33 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

> Weight loss as (part of) character development doesn't necessarily
> bother me, although I will always notice it and wait for the author to
> justify it, and usually they don't. On the other hand, weight gain as
> part of an overall character's journey always pleases me - e.g. Enid
> Blyton's Children of Cherry-Tree Farm being fattened up by all that
> good country livin'.

Oh, yes, indeed! That's one of my favorite parts of both The Secret Garden
and Understood Betsy--in each case, the main character was unhealthily
scrawny, and when she went to the country and started *doing* things, and
being outside, and not being hovered over, she started eating and
exercising and fattened right up.