[DWJ] Re: Sacking the maids

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 07:46:34 EDT 2007

Helen wrote:

>I *have* seen a new library built with an absolutely enormous  staircase in
>the middle of it, effectively deleting masses and masses of floor  space
>that
>could have been used for books. Seems just about as dumb to me.

Oh, yes, either having huge freestanding staircases or else those bloody,
*bloody* atriums is terribly popular in library design. "How can we make
sure there's less space for books, it'll be impossible to heat, and the
sound of people chatting in the entrance will go right through the building?
Ah, perfect!" I don't know one librarian who's ever asked for this, but they
seem to be impossible to stamp out.
Jennifer