[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu May 17 21:46:03 EDT 2007

Nicholas Jackson wrote:

> It's probably on a par with all those stories about libraries being
>
>designed and built without the weight of the books being taken into
>consideration: I've always found it difficult to believe that a qualified
>architect, entrusted with such a big project, would make what seems like
>an obvious mistake, and furthermore that nobody else would pick up on
>it either.

Having just been privy to some of the idiocies architects are
perpetrating on our institution in the form of proposals for a new
library, I fully believe it. One firm suggested that students be greeted
at the door (like in Walmart?) by a library tutor who will take them to
the information they need for their essay. I suspect, in this model,
books are not really part of the "information commons," which would make
the whole allowing for the weight of books business well beyond their ken.

robyn