[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Thu May 17 17:22:55 EDT 2007

On 17/5/07 19:15, "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net> wrote:

> You should hear my mother on the subject of the building in which she works
> (she's a university librarian working in a shiny newly built library).  They
> may have made it strong enough to hold the books, but they made whole walls
> of windows which can't be opened, completely ignoring (a) the way lots of
> light ain't so good for books, and (b) all those windows make the place like
> a greenhouse, and all that heat ain't so good for the books, the people, or
> the computers.  (And the air-conditioning doesn't work.)
>
> Apparently another university library sent a delegation to see this shiny
> new library building, with a view to hiring the same architect.  Over the
> protests of the management-types, the librarians showed them all around
> pointing out each and every flaw in the design.
>
> As for missing obvious mistakes...my secondary school had the radiators in
> the ceilings.  The architect, and everyone else involved, appeared to have
> completely missed the bit about heat rising.  (And I wouldn't be surprised
> to learn that that was a contributing factor to the leaky roofs.)

You make my blood run cold - I'm just about to have a new school library
designed as part of a whole school new build. I've handed over a list of
'design considerations' to the architect, but heaven knows whether he'll
take any notice.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com

Sign the e-petition on school libraries at
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/schoollibraries/#detail