[DWJ] Re: architects was Sacking the maids...

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 17:09:49 EDT 2007

Architects for schools I'm sure went into the profession only to get revenge against teachers and/or school students. I did know one former example who got so depressed at lying to teachers about how well their new buildings would work, and what they would be getting that he resigned and became a priest. I've taught in school libraries which were built on four levels, in which one librarian was expected to supervise 100 or more students, the most impossible to view rooms had doors leading into the senior students common room, just to make security easy. Eventually one architecture critic burnt it down. We did have some say in the rebuilding but we were stuck with the same external shell. My current library is very easy to supervise being on one level, however about 80% of its volume is above the level of the windows so in summer it gets very hot. There is a skylite in the roof designed for ventilation, but if opened it can't be shut properly and rain gets in. It has managed
 to survive two attempts to burn the school down but it is only about 2 metres above sea level so global warming may get it, it already has drainage problems because of this.

Jon