[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu May 17 15:07:23 EDT 2007

Dorian wrote:
>You should hear my mother on the subject of the building in which she works
>(she's a university librarian working in a shiny newly built library).  They
>may have made it strong enough to hold the books, but they made whole walls
>of windows which can't be opened, completely ignoring (a) the way lots of
>light ain't so good for books, and (b) all those windows make the place like
>a greenhouse, and all that heat ain't so good for the books, the people, or
>the computers.  (And the air-conditioning doesn't work.)

This is one of those architectural fashions, the glass-box school.  It's
lousy for offices too, and though they keep on wittering about new sorts of
glass that don't fry the poeple working inside boxes made of them
unfortunately they don't seem to use them.

>Apparently another university library sent a delegation to see this shiny
>new library building, with a view to hiring the same architect.  Over the
>protests of the management-types, the librarians showed them all around
>pointing out each and every flaw in the design.

Good for them!

>As for missing obvious mistakes...my secondary school had the radiators in
>the ceilings.  The architect, and everyone else involved, appeared to have
>completely missed the bit about heat rising.  (And I wouldn't be surprised
>to learn that that was a contributing factor to the leaky roofs.)

"Ceiling heating" was fashionable for a while, and a lot of bald men living
in council flats suffered from a rather nasty variation of sunburn and had
to wear hats indoors at all times.

Reading University library at Whiteknights Park was originally built with a
flat, water-permeable roof...

Minnow