[DWJ] Kate

Thu May 17 14:22:25 EDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:45:29 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2007, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
>> BTW, if you wrote a fat child character who scurried about doing lively
>> things, wouldn't that be falsifying reality a bit? Most fat kids I see (and I
>> mean FAT, not just a little bit soft in the middle) move slowly.
>
>Actually, I know plenty of fat athletes, dancers, runners, etc.

I think you should define what you mean by fat.  To me there's a big
difference between overweight, not-"ideal"-weight, and obese--and the last
is the only one I think of as fat.  We saw quite a few large and plump
dancers at the last high school performance, but none that I would call fat.

>-- and as for fat kids vs. thin kids, these days I hardly know
>*any* active kids.

I don't know a lot of kids whose activity level isn't related to their
weight, but I do see many kids who are...squishy-looking?  :)  You know, not
skin and bones.  And most of them are just as active as the skinny ones.

>  In my experience the fat = slow equation is
>one we perceive because it's reinforced by culture (including
>books), not because it's reinforced by reality so much.

Again, I think this depends on what you mean by fat.  The really fat
people--and I wouldn't even dare to guess at their weight--at the store
where I shop most DO move more slowly than other people.  My problem here is
that the definition of "fat" is way broader than it should be, i.e. "The
Devil Wears Prada" and "6 is the new 14."

> Like
>"fat people eat all the time" -- we aren't bothered by that when
>we see it in books, even though we *also* see thin people who eat
>all the time and we just say to ourselves "how *does* she do
>that? I'm so jealous!" and forget about it.

I always wonder about people at both ends of the spectrum, now that I'm not
underweight anymore.  I assume such thin people are feeding their tapeworms.

Melissa Proffitt