[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu May 17 14:15:10 EDT 2007

>It's probably on a par with all those stories about libraries being
>designed and built without the weight of the books being taken into
>consideration: I've always found it difficult to believe that a qualified
>architect, entrusted with such a big project, would make what seems like
>an obvious mistake, and furthermore that nobody else would pick up on
>it either.

You should hear my mother on the subject of the building in which she works
(she's a university librarian working in a shiny newly built library).  They
may have made it strong enough to hold the books, but they made whole walls
of windows which can't be opened, completely ignoring (a) the way lots of
light ain't so good for books, and (b) all those windows make the place like
a greenhouse, and all that heat ain't so good for the books, the people, or
the computers.  (And the air-conditioning doesn't work.)

Apparently another university library sent a delegation to see this shiny
new library building, with a view to hiring the same architect.  Over the
protests of the management-types, the librarians showed them all around
pointing out each and every flaw in the design.

As for missing obvious mistakes...my secondary school had the radiators in
the ceilings.  The architect, and everyone else involved, appeared to have
completely missed the bit about heat rising.  (And I wouldn't be surprised
to learn that that was a contributing factor to the leaky roofs.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray