[DWJ] Bad Mothers (was HP)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu May 17 11:58:05 EDT 2007

Deborah:

>>I wasn't convinced by your last mention of The Perilous Gard this
>>way and still don't buy it!  How can you fit Alicia's saying about
>>Kate's physical change 'But you know how *bony* and how stiff in
>>the back you always used to be?' with her having been fat before
>>the transformation?  (Italics-equivalents mine.) Obviously physical
>>maturation has happened with the breast and hip/waist change, but I
>>can't see describing it as an overall change from fat to feminine
>>curves.
>
>You know, this lives in my head as a symbolic example but I
>haven't read the book in years. I will reread and either withdraw
>that specific example (although not the overall statement) or
>defend my impressions from the text. :)

:)  Wouldn't want to do anything to 'spare' you a reread, as a reread
sounds such a lovely thing to do...  One of our copies - literally
fallen apart through reading - is right by the computer, which is why
I could so readily come up with that quote.  I've just found there's
another from the beginning which is also relevant, to tide you over
until you get to it: '[Kate] was a tall girl, all arms and legs...'

Hallie