[DWJ] Kate

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu May 17 11:45:29 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Sally Odgers wrote:

> BTW, if you wrote a fat child character who scurried about doing lively
> things, wouldn't that be falsifying reality a bit? Most fat kids I see (and I
> mean FAT, not just a little bit soft in the middle) move slowly.

Actually, I know plenty of fat athletes, dancers, runners, etc.
-- and as for fat kids vs. thin kids, these days I hardly know
*any* active kids.  In my experience the fat = slow equation is
one we perceive because it's reinforced by culture (including
books), not because it's reinforced by reality so much.  Like
"fat people eat all the time" -- we aren't bothered by that when
we see it in books, even though we *also* see thin people who eat
all the time and we just say to ourselves "how *does* she do
that? I'm so jealous!" and forget about it.

-deborah
--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle and here is my ... my ...