[DWJ] Re: Bad Mothers (was HP

Thu May 17 11:43:29 EDT 2007

Helen Schinske wrote:

One of the reasons I so dearly love Juliana Ewing's _Six to Sixteen_ is
that
it says the exact opposite: Eleanor's mother is considered to be
wonderful
precisely *because* she has so many scientific and artistic interests
(and
shares them with her children). She is of course modeled on Margaret
Gatty,
Ewing's own mother, who was internationally known as an expert on
seaweeds, and
as such was the subject of a family poem beginning "Oh, Gattys, go and
call
your  mother home,/At least in time for tea/The breakfast, lunch and
dinner come
and  go/Unheeded at the sea." A parody of something else, of course, but
I've
forgotten the something else.
*****************

I actually typed some of this for the Celebration of Women Writers
(online books.)
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/ewing/six/six.html
And I notice that there's a book by Margaret Gatty in progress (The Book
of Sun-dials (Fourth edition) by Margaret Scott Gatty (1809-1873)

As for the poem, I believe it's a parody of "Oh Mary, go and call the
cattle home/Across the sands of Dee" by Charles Kingsley.  Very clever
too!

Alison
Ps Hi Devra!