[DWJ] Kate

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Thu May 17 11:35:46 EDT 2007

I don't think Kate was ever fat in tPG. The "new slenderness" is more about
posture, I think. She used to slouch with tummy stuck out, now she doesn't.

BTW, if you wrote a fat child character who scurried about doing lively
things, wouldn't that be falsifying reality a bit? Most fat kids I see (and
I mean FAT, not just a little bit soft in the middle) move slowly. I often
wonder which comes first... the speed or the shape. I was brought up on a
farm, and you see the exact same thing in cattle. The fat cows are the slow
movers (and often placid) while the skinny ones are always swishing their
tails, marching about or cutting capers.  Skinny kids are often overactive,
OTOH. In our three Jack Russell dogs (siblings) we have cranky little
Tilly-Tump, (wiry and skinny), galloopy Jeanie B (lollopy and lean) and
placid, companionable Preacher (who is - um - barrel-shaped). Guess Who
swallows his food in three bites while the other two rush about looking for
somewhere to hide theirs?

Placidity and plumpness often go together with animals, but not with humans,
so perhaps metabolism works differently in different species.