[DWJ] Bad Mothers (was HP)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu May 17 10:40:11 EDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
> But I guess - why bother anyway unless you are going to go
> into that depth? For example, there are surely more than enough fat kid
> characters who are lazy & greedy or a bully that you'd need to be doing
> something very different with the character to add another.

And different is so much *fun*! There's a character I love in the
television show Due South who is an aggressive, under educated,
head-kicking police officer -- who wears nerdy coke bottle
glasses (which he only puts on when he needs to shoot something,
because he is a crack shot with them and can't see without them).
The assignation of nerdy coke bottle glasses to a nonstandard
character makes this cop a richer and more interesting character
in his own right.

I'm trying to think if DWJ specifically plays against stereotypes
anywhere in that way, and I can't think of anything offhand. What
she does instead is deconstruct stereotypes by creating worlds
where people buy into them: _Howl's_ and _Dark Lord_.

-deborah
--
Me: Should we install Microsoft products or Applixware?
Magic 8 Ball: Outlook not good.