[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu May 17 09:41:26 EDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On the other hand, the new Bibliotheque Nationale de France (opened
> 1996) _was_ explicitly designed so that the book-storage would be above
> ground and the readers below; the architect ignored protestations about
> light being bad for books, so they've had to board up the windows.

I like that library at Yale with "windows" made of thin sheets of
marble so there's natural light but filtered enough for the
books.

Libraries regularly have to check weight allowances before they
can put in compact shelving.  I work in a library building that's
basically on bedrock and we *still* can't put compact shelving in
all of the buildings.  And MIT can't put compact shelving in a
lot of their libraries because they are too close to the river.

And to make this post actually interesting to people who are not
librarians or architects, I'm going to link to an absolutely
incredible compact shelving video. No, seriously, there is such a
thing as an absolutely incredible compact shelving video. This is
well worth watching:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns314ZNaJb4>.  Watch it!  Trust
me!  I'm B&A, Robyn said so!

-deborah
--
This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #
154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it