[DWJ] Bad Mothers (was HP)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu May 17 09:02:50 EDT 2007

> It occurs to me suddenly that we wouldn't be having this discussion if the
> parent in question were male rather than female.  The adult male of the
> household equally doesn't do any housework, after all.  Shame upon us, eh?
> Gender stereotypists that we are!

What's interesting is that we're obsessing over a single example,
because it fits a cultural stereotype. Logically, of course, some
people in a given group are going to fit the stereotype, and some of
them will be nasty. In this case, the failed feminist writer. Is it
possible for someone to  include a negative character who fits a
stereotype safely? How?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net