[DWJ] Re: Bad Mothers (was HP)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed May 16 18:40:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/16/2007 6:18:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight  Time, Minnow
_minnow at belfry.org.uk_ (mailto:minnow at belfry.org.uk)   writes:

You're  right, in fiction written before the present generation mothers are
not  supposed to have interests apart from their children because that  makes
them Bad Mothers.

One of the reasons I so dearly love Juliana Ewing's _Six to Sixteen_ is  that
it says the exact opposite: Eleanor's mother is considered to be wonderful
precisely *because* she has so many scientific and artistic interests (and
shares them with her children). She is of course modeled on Margaret Gatty,
Ewing's own mother, who was internationally known as an expert on seaweeds, and
as such was the subject of a family poem beginning "Oh, Gattys, go and call
your  mother home,/At least in time for tea/The breakfast, lunch and dinner come
and  go/Unheeded at the sea." A parody of something else, of course, but I've
forgotten the something else.

Helen Schinske