[DWJ] Bad Mothers (was HP)

estairm at yahoo.com estairm at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 18:30:09 EDT 2007

--- Charles Butler <charles.hannibal at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, going back to Hallie's original question, which
> I fully admit I have no
> good answer to - given that the mother in *Conrad's
> Fate* is not only
> selfish (which any parent may be, for my money) but
> that her selfishness is
> presented as hypocritical, and hypocriticial
> precisely because of
> her feminism - does it matter that she is the only
> self-proclaimed feminist
> in the DWJ canon? The fact that parents, and
> particularly mothers, are
> always open to blame for everything they do or don't
> do with their children,
> doesn't really address the more specific point of
> this character's
> presentation.
>
> Charlie

Charlie, I don't have a good answer either, but I'll
have a stab at it with a butter knife.

I think that the mother in Conrad's Fate was a
hypocrite, but not because of feminism specifically.
ANY obsession of a helping nature would be sufficient
to make her a hypocrite.  Picture her obsessing over
baby seals, or starving children in Romania, or cancer
victims.

The question that leaps to mind in all of them is how
can she focus only on these (relatively) faraway
sufferers, and not see her own children suffering.

And while it is a bit extra hypocritical that she is
exploiting her own daughter while bemoaning the
exploitation of all other women -- still, she freely
turns around and exploits her son the same way.  She's
not a female chauvinist pig, she's an
equal-opportunity selfish pig.

Well, did I make any dents at all with my butter
knife?

Esther

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC