[DWJ] stereotypes

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed May 16 18:11:38 EDT 2007

I read several of Snicket's books a few years ago.  I alternately adored them and hated them.  When I was in a good mood, I found them deliciously horrible (not just in that horrible things happened to the kids, but in that I thought Snicket deliberately wrote not very well -- maybe that was giving him too much benefit of the doubt).  When I was in a bad mood, they would make me slightly insane.  I learned to guage my mood before picking one of them up.  They never drew me in enough to finish the series.

EGH

Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:
On May 15, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Sally Odgers wrote:

>  or else use authorial comment.
>
> "You see, in those days people thought..."
>
> A-C has been out of fashion for a long time, but people like Nesbit
> used it to good effect, and perhaps it needs to make a comeback in
> some circs?

Taking this out of context, because I've been wanting to ask,

Speaking of Authorial Comment, do other folk read Lemony
Snicket?  I read an article when  it was announced the series
was ending, so I went to the library and got the first three.

I don't like them much.  And I'm not vastly amused by the
Authorial Comments.

Plus there's a lot of HIBKing, which drives me nuts.

[HIBKing - perpetrating a lot of statements of the
  Had-I-But-Known variety]

The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war
appears to be one of the most ancient and
dangerous of human illusions.

                                 - Robert Lynd