[DWJ]Enid Blyton? (was Writing for the young)

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Wed May 16 17:44:24 EDT 2007

On 16/5/07 18:58, "Jenny Schwartzberg" <schwartzbergj at newberry.org> wrote:

> I may go look in my university library for old Blytons and see what I
> think of her appeal now.  But I don't think prolificacy is to be
> despised as long as the stories are fun to read....

I think the problem with Blyton for adults is that characterization is very
flat. This is not an original thought: I read it in a colour supplement
years ago and it really struck a chord. I have very vivid memories of the
children in the Blyton stories, but on re-reading them realised that much of
the 'roundedness' of the characters came from me rather than the writing.
Which may mean that my imagination was being stimulated to work in a
positive way, but doesn't say much for the writing itself.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com

Sign the e-petition on school libraries at
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/schoollibraries/#detail