[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Wed May 16 16:40:35 EDT 2007

Minnow wrote:
> Fascinating.  Can you dig up a source for this?  I doubt very much indeed
> that even the British, who are known to be mentally defective to such a
> degree that it's surprising that they still know how to breathe, would set
> up an hereditary post to warn people that paint in a particular place was
> wet, so there must be some other explanation, and I'd love to know what it
> was.

I have been Googling an hour, without success.  I will continue to work
on it.  I'm quite sure though, that it is more than apocryphal, I
remember seeing the man in his ridiculous uniform, and the small,
unassuming back stair he stood by.  I'm sure he felt a bit ridiculous at
first upon assuming the post, but one can even get used to hanging, if
one hangs long enough.

--Mark