[DWJ] feetnoting (was Writing for the young etc)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed May 16 12:46:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 05:41:33PM +0100, Minnow wrote:

>How easy is that to do with a computer?  Most of the setups I have
>encountered give you the option of footnotes *or* endnotes, so one would
>have to keep careful track of one or the other.

I don't know about other systems, but OpenOffice certainly has no
trouble with the concept.

>Endnotes would be easier to insert by hand, I guess, apart from the need to
>give a page-reference for each.  But there would be a problem about
>consecutive numbering whatever one did, unless one set of notes were roman
>numerals and the other arabic, and the roman ones might get rather long.
>
>How do they get round that?

OO defaults to having footnotes with arabic and endnotes with roman
numerals, but one can furkle with the formatting; it wouldn't be
possible to have both footnotes and endnotes in the same numerical
sequence as far as I can tell.

Roger