[DWJ] feetnoting (was Writing for the young etc)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 16 12:41:33 EDT 2007

>On May 16, 2007, at 2:49 AM, Paul Andinach wrote:

>> What I hate in non-fiction books is when *most* of the endnotes are
>> citations, but every now and then there'll be a paragraph of something
>> relevant but tangential that would have spoiled the flow if it had
>> been left in the main text. If all the footnotes are citations, I can
>> just ignore them, but if some of them aren't I have to keep following
>> them and mostly being disappointed.

Otter commented:

>_I_ like books -- and I've found a few -- that use footnotes for
>substantive stuff and endnotes for citations.  Very, very handy.

How easy is that to do with a computer?  Most of the setups I have
encountered give you the option of footnotes *or* endnotes, so one would
have to keep careful track of one or the other.

Endnotes would be easier to insert by hand, I guess, apart from the need to
give a page-reference for each.  But there would be a problem about
consecutive numbering whatever one did, unless one set of notes were roman
numerals and the other arabic, and the roman ones might get rather long.

How do they get round that?

Minnow