[DWJ] stereotypes

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 16 07:38:52 EDT 2007

>Farah said: Precisely what useful function do stereotypes possess?

SallyO commented:
>I say... well if my daughter had taken note of at least one she might have
>avoided being spat on and insulted. I, also, might have avoided a creepy
>incident and a truly horrible day if I hadn't thought... - eh, that's just
>prejudice. Thing is, prejudice can work both ways, and in some cases (NOT
>ALL OR EVEN MANY before anyone jumps on me) prejudice (pre-judging) is a
>vital survival skill.

Are you sure you have the right politically-incorrect boo-word there?  I
would say that discrimination rather than prejudice would lead to better
judgement as to what one ought to do in a particular situation!  :-)

I think that the trouble with stereotypes, as with any other pigeonholing
exercise, is that they too often lead to skewed expectations of an
individual or a situation.  That's why I find them unhelpful.

Minnow