[DWJ] Writing for the young (was Dumbledore vs. Snape)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 16 04:49:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:07:35 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> Referential footnotes, not humorous ones.  I still hate it when I'm
> reading a book with end notes and the reference turns out to be a
> gazillion citations for other books rather than actual text.

What I hate in non-fiction books is when *most* of the endnotes are
citations, but every now and then there'll be a paragraph of something
relevant but tangential that would have spoiled the flow if it had
been left in the main text. If all the footnotes are citations, I can
just ignore them, but if some of them aren't I have to keep following
them and mostly being disappointed.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."