[DWJ] Sacking the maids...

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Wed May 16 02:17:18 EDT 2007

Juliette Curtis wrote:
> The servants at Stallery in CF live a very strange life. They are regimented
> and required to perform tasks of mind-numbing pointlessness but they have a
> certain kind of dignity.
>
> I have tried to make various wise comments about the contrast between their
> dignity and their ridiculous way of life but my brain has gone numb.
>
> Juliette

Is this like the guy at one of the palaces of the British monarchy whose
job for generations was to stand at the foot of the stairs?  Presumably,
the original office duty was to warn people that the stairs were freshly
painted, or some such task.  It was a hereditary post.  It was abolished
only a relatively short time ago.

--Mark A.