[DWJ] Mothers

Jenny Schwartzberg schwartzbergj at newberry.org
Wed May 16 01:15:59 EDT 2007

Oh dear.  I adore my mother.  She may not be perfect, who is? but she's pretty fabulous.  I wouldn't be the person I am without her.  While I know, from DWJ's autobiographical essay and other sources that she had dreadful parents and that influences how she treats parents in her fiction, I also suspect that she must have been a great mother.  After all, she began writing to give her kids good books to read!

So it's possible to be a far better parent than one's parents, if one had bad parents.  As a family historian, I do see how parenting patterns repeat, and since my family tends to have good family relationships, there are a lot of good parent-kid relationships among my cousins.  I'm also sorry to report that once a bad parent-kid relationship is established, it tends to repeat through the generations, unless there's a lot of intervention and determined reaction against being like one's parents.

I guess all of this is off-topic, but DWJ's depiction of family relationships has always fascinated me, being so alien to my own experiences.

Yours,
Jenny Schwartzberg
Chicago, IL