[DWJ] stereotypes

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue May 15 23:00:28 EDT 2007

On 16/5/07 12:28 PM, "Susanna Victoria" <dragonflygreen11 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Otter Perry wrote:
>
>> Speaking of Authorial Comment, do other folk read Lemony
>> Snicket?  I read an article when  it was announced the series
>> was ending, so I went to the library and got the first three.
>
>> I don't like them much.  And I'm not vastly amused by the
>> Authorial Comments.
>
> Ugh, yes.  I Lemony Snicket's Authorial Comments.  They are in fact what kept
> me from ever reading beyond Book 1.  I found them all too-too self-consciously
> clever and arch. I particularly disliked the ones where he explained the
> meaning of words.  I mean, I know he thought he was being funny with the
> definitions, but it seemed condescending towards the reader.  In fact, the
> entire narrative style was condescending.

I guess you'd have to say that this is a matter of taste. Obviously, the
tens of thousands of kids who love the books don't find it condescending.

 Authorial comment, it seems to me, is a technique you either can accept or
you loathe. I can't otherwise explain such polarised views on (contemporary)
books for children which employ it‹Snicket, Despereaux, Clair de Lune...

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff