[DWJ] Mermaids^Wmer-people (was HP)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue May 15 14:07:46 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> You know, apart from the fun to be had subverting them, I cannot for the
> life of me  think why children need to learn stereotypes. They are after all
> not innate to children, they are something adults impose.

I have an aborted project on this about fractured fairy tales and
feminist retellings.  My thought process goes something like:

- fairy tales are full of terrible gender stereotypes

- feminist retellings, from Donna Jo Napoli to Judith Viorst, are
   hugely powerful in reshaping thought

- without exposure to the problematic originals, where is the joy
   and empowerment in the retellings?

It's like modern readers' problems with Northanger Abbey; absent
the Gothic pulp tradtion being mocked, can the book be really
appreciated?

(I don't have an answer to this.  Just questions.)

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"