[DWJ] Mermaids^Wmer-people (was HP)

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:02:37 EDT 2007

> >Good save!  Thanks!  Not really want I was saying, but I did think of
> >that while I was reading other posts.  Children, as you say, must learn
> >their stereotypes at some point.  :)

You know, apart from the fun to be had subverting them, I cannot for the
life of me  think why children need to learn stereotypes. They are after all
not innate to children, they are something adults impose.

Precisely what useful function do stereotypes possess?

[And I do understand the cognitive process of classification that allows
children to build up categories and sub catgories of objects].

Farah