[DWJ] HP

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue May 15 13:54:34 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> Mind you, there are lots of grounds to criticise Diana's treatments of
> mothers. Generally: girl children good, grannies good. Mothers, not so good.

Indeed, though there are certainly the Maras and Millies as well.
Ineffectual, but benevolent and clever.

Mind you, fathers don't get off too easily, either (though the
Ogre is better than he seems). Farily standard children's
convention, there; make the parents evil, ineffectual, or absent
so the kids can have Adventures.  But DWJ does rather buy into
specific evil mother/stepmother tropes, even when not pastiching
them ala Howl (eg. Time City, Dogsbody).  Which is fine, with
balance.

-deborah
--
"`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that giggling-dangerous-
totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."