[DWJ] HP

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue May 15 10:30:24 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> That's not at all what I mean. I mean having Rowling write a book in which
> all fat people are lazy, greedy and stupid.

I can accept some stereotyped fat negativism in literature -- if
I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to *read*.  But fat symbols are a
bugbear of mine, and the treatment of Dudley and Aunt Marge
always makes me grind my teeth.

(For more on fat in children's and YA lit there are some great
freely available articles out there; try Rebecca Rabinowitz, "Fat
characters in recent young adult fiction", from KLIATT, 2003, at
<http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-108266685.html>.  Her paper
"Half a Hundred Masks But Not a Chance: Fat Characters in
Contemporary Young Adult Fiction" was just presented at PCA, and
if any of you contact me offline, I can put you in touch with her
so you can get a copy.)

(DWJ does a little bit of fat stereotyping but she also plays
against it.  Nan, for example, saves the day without ever losing
weight -- this is a very big deal for me.)

-deborah
--
There's not a liberal America and a conservative America-there's
the United States of America...  We worship an awesome God in the