[DWJ] Endnotes (was Writing for the young etc)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 15 07:41:33 EDT 2007

>>Well, I liked footnotes.  In Pratchett, anyway.  Oh, nevermind, I was an
>>adult by the time Pratchett hit the scene.

Melissa Proffitt chimed in

>Referential footnotes, not humorous ones.  I still hate it when I'm reading
>a book with end notes and the reference turns out to be a gazillion
>citations for other books rather than actual text.

It's *really* annoying when they are endnotes instead of footnotes, because
you have to go to the end and probably lose your place in the text only to
discover that it is merely telling you the names of books you don't have
available to look up.

OTOH I *love* the footnotes in Susannah Clarke's *Jonathan Strange & Mr.
Norrell*, which refer the reader to texts nobody can have available to
consult.

Did I ever claim to be consistent?  I do hope not.  :-)

Minnow