[DWJ] Writing for the young

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 15 07:41:32 EDT 2007

>Minnow gave an analogy:
>
>(This is like feeling obliged to read several Barbara Cartlands in order
>to feel
>justified in being very rude indeed about her work.  I wish I had not
>been
>brought up to try to be fair.)

and leads Elizabeth Evans to reply:

>And have you? Read several BCs I mean. I don't think she's into
>semi-colon abuse so much as ellipsis abuse - effective written depiction
>of hyperventilating heroines.

As opposed to Heyer's embarrassment of emdash in her early books.  Yes, I
did notice that.  I think I read about eight BCs.  Somebody gave me a huge
box of books to take please to the charity shop for her, and the contents
were a 50/50 mix of 1960s Sociology textbooks and bodice-rippers by BC or
from Mills and Boon, and I read the second half of said contents in a "know
your enemy" spirit, really.  One of the M&B was very funny; the rest of
what I read was so unmemorable that I don't remember it.  Oh, apart from
finding BC's general "women like to be treated like dirt and enjoy being
the victims of physical assault" message loathesome, which I haven't
forgetten feeling though I don't recall specific instances or examples.

>ObDWJ (Not that I remember any Barbara-Cartland-ish heroines in DWJ's
>books, but Sophie and Lettie do remind me of Georgette Heyer's heroines,
>and since Barbara C modelled (cough) her books on Georgette Heyer's,
>there is a tenuous connection there.)

More likely a direct one, given that DWJ is a GH fan (and they share  a
birthday, I think).  The Grand Sophy (a successfully managing wench who is
Competent) is one of GH's heroines, after all!

Minnow