[DWJ] HP

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Tue May 15 01:21:37 EDT 2007

Farah Mendlesohn wrote:
> There is a difference between avatars and stereotypes.
[snip]
> Avatars are powerful tools for children.  They damn well don't need to be
> taught stereotypes unless you are actively planning to encourage playground
> bullying and life-long prejudice.

Children encounter bullies in Real Life (tm), identifying them in a book
isn't going to do anything new to a kid's prejudices.  Bullies are just
one example.  I take your point, and it is valid, but I don't really
think that there is anything we can do to prevent children from
developing their own personal prejudices.  The best we can hope for is
that the child avoids the more vile of them, such as racism.

--Mark A.