[DWJ] Writing for the young (was Dumbledore vs. Snape)

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue May 15 01:03:50 EDT 2007

I was about to chime in that I was keen on 2 (identity) and 8 (commentary
and footnotes) from an early age--wouldn't have read The Golden Bough if the
second weren't true.

But the point about 2 is that children are interested in checking out a
range of identities, not demanding that they find one that is "relevant" to
them. That tends to be an adult pursuit. Certainly most sf readers I know
were out to find out about what they *could* be, not what they were.

Farah

On 15/05/07, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:

> >Well, I liked footnotes.  In Pratchett, anyway.  Oh, nevermind, I was an
> >adult by the time Pratchett hit the scene.
>
> Referential footnotes, not humorous ones.  I still hate it when I'm
> reading
> a book with end notes and the reference turns out to be a gazillion
> citations for other books rather than actual text.
>
> Melissa Proffitt
> (the footnote in Pratchett about the Electric Drill Chuck Key Fairy cracks
> me up every time)

One day I want time to be bored.