[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape - was Heyer and Ghibli (now withOUT Mononoke spoilers)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Mon May 14 23:28:15 EDT 2007

Me/Jadwiga:

> > By contrast, I can't think of anywhere where Dumbledore has taken any
> > personal risks or - let me mention this again - *saved Harry's life*.
> > Mostly he's risking Harry's life (cf Azkaban: "I think this plan will
> > work better if I go and stall the executioner and you go running round
> > a Forbidden Forest full of Dementors and oh-did-I-forget-to-tell-you,
> > Lupin's a werewolf and might turn on you at any moment? Yes, I am the
> > most powerful wizard in the world and you are a small and
> > not-very-talented boy. What's your point?")
>
> So, basically, Dumbledore *is* Gandalf?

Dumbledore is Gandalf if:

(1) Frodo is eleven years old (ie about two-thirds of the way to being
a legal adult) when he first takes on the quest;

(2) Gandalf's relationship to Frodo involves being in loco parentis
and having a legal duty of care to him; and

(3) the author of the book has bothered to put in a clause in the
McGuffin whereby there's a *reason* for the most powerful wizard in
the world not do do his own dirty work.

This is one of the places where the school-story genre elements just
break the fantasy-quest genre elements, for me - I was thinking also
about *The Philosopher's Stone*, and the way that the first magical
obstruction could be overcome by a spell taught to first-year pupils.
The idea of a wizard school really *requires* fully trained adults to
be better at magic than beginning children in a way which should wipe
out the possibility of children getting the better of adults - I mean,
children in school stories get the better of adults in all manner of
ways, but the plot doesn't usually require them to succeed by being
better at French than the French teacher, so to speak.

Love, Ika