[DWJ] Dumbledore vs. Snape

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Mon May 14 23:23:34 EDT 2007

Mark/Elizabeth/Mark:

> >> the time, but it is mostly well done, and, taken as a whole, a lot of
> >> fun.  (Don't ever forget, though, it's a children's book.)

> > Am I misunderstanding the context, or is Mark arguing that children's
> > books don't need to be as intelligent, well-written, or
> > non-stereotypical as adult books need be?
>

> No!  Not my intent at all!  I meant it is fun!  *Fun!*  Adult books
> aren't always.

Actually, this pretty much sums up why I get so wound up about the HP
books: I get tripped up by things in the universe that other people
can happily accept as part of the set-up which delivers The Fun
(people who absolutely wouldn't accept slavery or teachers risking
pupils' lives in the real world). But different people draw that line
connecting fiction to real life in different places: I had a friend
who couldn't get past Chrestomanci boxing Cat's ears in *Charmed
Life*, in much the same way that I can't get past the things
Dumbledore does.

(Luckily I have already written an essay about this - 'Keeping
Promises To Queer Children', which is in the *Fan Fiction And Fan
Communities In The Age of the Internet* book [alongside Deborah's] -
so I can spare the list from any more of it.)

Love,  Ika