[DWJ] HP

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Mon May 14 22:09:30 EDT 2007

Elizabeth said:
 is Mark arguing that children's books don't need to be as intelligent,
well-written, or non-stereotypical as adult books need be?

I don't think so. I think he meant that  stereotypes don't bother children
as much because they have not experienced as many of them. Not only
children, but adults who have read no fantasy since childhood and then
approach HP or any other series tend to think it original because they have
never encountered the source material.

A writing exercise I give my fantasy-writing clients includes writing down
everything they "know" about a specific fantasy creature, and then writing
down WHY they know it... i.e. mermaids sing sailors to their deaths -
because that's what happens in the Odyssey. It's especially interesting with
vampires and dragons, which have more than one trad.

Sallyo