[DWJ] Writing for the young (was Dumbledore vs. Snape)

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon May 14 21:07:35 EDT 2007

> Minnow wrote:
>
>> And I now wonder:
>>
>> Have I posted the "10 reasons I write for children" that DWJ keeps on her
>> study door?  They are a quotation she feels worth remembering.
>>
>> TEN REASONS WHY I WRITE FOR CHILDREN

<snip>

>> 7] They still believe in God, the family, angels, devils, witches,
>> goblins,
>> logic, clarity, punctuation and other such obsolete stuff.

Love this one.  Especially about logic.  :)  Children believe in
fairness, too.  Sadly, about the family, it may no longer be true.

>> 8] They love interesting stories, not commentary, guides or footnotes.

Well, I liked footnotes.  In Pratchett, anyway.  Oh, nevermind, I was an
adult by the time Pratchett hit the scene.

>> 9] When a book is boring, they yawn openly, without any shame or fear of
>> authority.

I guess I am shameless.  Or still a kid, in some ways.

>> 10] They don't expect their beloved writer to redeem humanity.  Young as
>> they are, they know it is not in his power.  Only adults have such
>> childish
>> illusions.

This one is deep.  And true.  Also applies to dictators, e.g., Hitler,
Trotsky, Lenin, Stalin, etc.

>> It's jolly easy to be polite from a position of indifference based in
>> almost complete ignorance.  --Which is where I stand on this topic!
>>
>>> EGH, delurking from taking grueling final exams
>>
>> Good luck!

Ditto!

>> Minnow

--Mark A., not keeping his vow to go back to lurking.